Monday, July 18, 2011

Every Part of Me

I can clearly remember one early morning when Jason's neurologist strolled into the ICU.  My mom and I had been anxiously awaiting his arrival.  Although he came every morning to try and rouse Jason from his coma, this morning was different.  He came bearing life-changing CAT scan results of Jason's brain.  An earlier EEG test done following his brain injury had shown slow activity.  Those results had been devastating.  After several more days without a response from Jason, they performed a CAT scan to determine the extent of the injury.
I was unable to read the neurologist's mood when he entered the room.  He immediately went to the window to check the weather.  He casually said, "Well, that's not good"...and my heart sank.  I soon realized he was commenting on what he'd seen outside.  After I started breathing again, he smiled and said he had something to show me.  He walked me to a computer at the nurses' station to show me the pictures of Jason's brain.  He explained to me that they showed no large areas of permanent damage.  He seemed extremely surprised and relieved.  I felt as though I'd been given an enormous gift.
Even though I couldn't read the test results, I now see which parts of Jason's brain were not altered.  He is still kind, gentle and considerate.  In the winter, whenever a snowstorm is predicted, he still calls his mom to make sure she has everything she needs.
I am thankful every day that Jason's sense of humor remains intact.  Whenever I run into people who knew him in the past, they never fail to mention his humor.  He has an amazingly quick and genius wit.  Each night when I remind him to put on his CPAP mask, I say it in silly ways so I don't seem like such a nag.  Last night, I said, "Goodnight, PAPPY!"  He smirked and replied, "Goodnight, Mammy"--then proceeded to roll over and pretend to sleep.
Even though Jason's memory was greatly impacted, he still has millions of facts stored away.  I have always been in awe of the extent of his knowledge.  This has not changed.  He consistently blows my mind whenever his remote lingers on game shows.  I believe he knows the name of every person who's ever been a professional wrestler.  Even though he never met my dad's mother, he never forgets her name:  Ida Lodema Beanblossom Busch!
Even though so much has changed, I do remember to count my blessings.  Whenever I falter, and begin to focus on what was lost, I name those blessings one by one.  Oh, see what God has done.

1 comment:

  1. oh friend. I love you. Thank you for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete