Thursday, November 24, 2011

Sweet By And By

When I made my pumpkin pie this year, I saved back a little square of crust.  I sprinkled it with cinnamon and sugar before sliding it into the oven.  Before long, my kitchen began smelling like Grandma's house.
Although I hold fast to the  promise that I will see her again, oh, how I miss hearing her say, "Hello, dear" before she hugged me close.

We shall sing on that beautiful shore
The melodious songs of the blessed;
And our spirits shall sorrow no more,
Not a sigh for the blessing of rest.
In the sweet by and by,
We shall meet on that beautiful shore.

1 comment:

  1. Donna, I thought of Mom as I made my pies this year too. I thought how good her crust tasted compared to my crust out of a box! I never could make it like she did so I quit trying. Never mastered gravy like hers either.
    Did you know that song is what she requested for her funeral service? She always loved the shore and I'm sure the one she's walking beside IS beautiful. Much more beautiful than we can imagine!

    ReplyDelete