Sunday, August 18, 2013

Shelter Me Safe

We were running behind as usual this morning.  By the time I'd unhooked Jason from dialysis, and coaxed him into the shower, I only had a few minutes for (much-needed) personal primping.  Eli was wise enough to perceive this wasn't the morning to argue his case about not needing a shower.  Once we were all squeaky clean and properly attired, it was clear we would not be punctual.
As we quietly slid into a pew, our song leader was just announcing the next song.  He requested that the sopranos sing the first verse, with each vocal part joining on the subsequent verses.  Since I've often longed for a lovely alto voice, and find the sound especially soothing, this pleased me.  As I heard the first strains of Nearer, Still Nearer, I felt myself unwind from life's uncertainties.
This is the song I've found myself turning to time and again in the past several months.  Whenever I feel overwhelmed, the lyrics provide solace.  I play it each time I begin to worry about the future of Jason's health. Even as life seems to be unraveling all around me, it never fails to comfort me. When I wake up in the middle of the night, and am unable to breathe while thinking about my dad, I repeat the familiar lines in my head until I fall back to sleep.

  1. Nearer, still nearer, close to Thy heart,
    Draw me, my Savior—so precious Thou art!
    Fold me, oh, fold me close to Thy breast;
    Shelter me safe in that haven of rest;
    Shelter me safe in that haven of rest.
  1. Nearer, still nearer, while life shall last,
    Till safe in glory my anchor is cast;
    Through endless ages ever to be
    Nearer, my Savior, still nearer to Thee;
    Nearer, my Savior, still nearer to Thee!

http://kleinwood.com/annual-singing/2005/08/05/nearer-still-nearer

2 comments:

  1. My daughter had a transplant at 4 months old, so I started following you because of that connection, but I really enjoy reading your posts (although they sometimes hit a tough spot with me). I have nominated you for a Leibster Award. Check it out at: http://moreatforty.wordpress.com/2013/09/07/liebster-award-nomination/ and pass it on if you can!

    ReplyDelete