Wednesday, July 11, 2012

All Aboard!

After receiving the news about Jason's kidneys, I had a difficult time deciding whether to proceed with my travel plans.  As the prospect of home dialysis and transplant became real possibilities, I realized this might actually be the best time to take advantage of this opportunity.
Since I'm rather pitiful about flying, my thoughtful brother purchased me a train ticket.  On the trip to Chicago, I had my very own private room in the sleeping car.  I truly felt like a pampered queen.  Meals were also included, so I strolled to the dining car for a leisurely breakfast and lunch.  I had planned to spend the seven hours on the train reading, writing, and listening to music.  I found myself simply decompressing and gazing out my windows.
I delighted in spending time in my brother's new home.  He and his family live in a lovely peaceful neighborhood.  My sister-in-law and niece purchased bouquets of flowers for my bedroom and bathroom.  I  became quite the spoiled house guest, and was lavished with hugs and chocolate cake.  I loved walking to a nearby park and seeing my brother race his daughter on the swings.  I was able to try several new restaurants, and discovered a new favorite in Maggiano's Little Italy.
On Monday morning, we ventured into the city.  It was extremely interesting to walk downtown among the bustling crowds.  I thoroughly enjoyed our time at Navy Pier, where we explored little shops and ate Italian ice.  Naturally, I didn't brave the giant Ferris wheel, although my fearless niece did so with glee. We rode a water taxi beneath the giant buildings on our way back downtown.
Before I jumped the train for home Tuesday morning, my niece said we needed to play something quick and special.  We played "store", one of her favorite activities.  After she loaded her plastic shopping cart to overflowing, I rang up her purchases on the cash register.  It was the perfect ending to a fabulous visit.
The trip home flew by with the blur of farmland and trees out the windows.  My amazing sister fetched me from the station, and delivered me safely home to my sweet family.  I was greeted by Jason and Eli sitting on the couch holding flowers and a welcome home sign.  I quickly noticed my sister had cleaned our whole apartment from top to bottom.  While I was off indulging in deep-dish pizza, she was scrubbing our shower and shampooing carpets.  I keep finding more areas she transformed with hours of labor.  I feel as though I've been given a fresh new start.
I am thankful for friends who brought lunch for Jason and Eli while I was gone.  Eli was thrilled to be invited on a miniature golf outing with friends.  I am exceedingly grateful to my family for continually going above and beyond to show their love for me.  I have been blessed beyond measure with such a strong support system.  I feel refreshed and prepared for what lies ahead.
"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name."  (Psalm 103:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment