Monday, July 30, 2012

Reprieve

I went to the dialysis center on Friday to become educated on the different types of dialysis.  The nurses were incredibly compassionate and informative.  I felt very much at peace with my decision of peritoneal dialysis.  This will enable us to do dialysis at home every day, as opposed to three times per week of hemodialysis at the center.  This will work more like Jason's own kidneys, so hopefully he will feel better overall.
The nurses indicated they would be scheduling the procedure with a surgeon right away to place the dialysis catheter in Jason's abdomen.  A little voice inside my head cried, "Please slow down; I'm not ready!"  Even though I'd had weeks to mentally prepare, I still didn't feel adjusted to the idea.  I was extremely emotional over the weekend, and prayed for that elusive peace to return.  Last night before I drifted off to sleep, I remembered my favorite parts of Isaiah 55..."My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways" and "You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace".  I felt calm in the security of these promises.
Jason had an appointment with the kidney doctor again this morning.  I went in armed with my questions and ready to face the next steps.  After we spoke at great length about dialysis, she granted the wish I hadn't even dared to voice aloud.  She's decided to wait and see how long Jason can remain at his current level of kidney function before starting dialysis.  She will continue to monitor monthly labs, and is changing a few medicines that might help him retain more function longer.  She told us he may be able to wait as long as six to eight months!  The doctor is also getting in touch with St. Luke's Hospital to start the process of determining if Jason is a candidate for transplant.
We are extremely grateful for this reprieve.  Before school starts, we're going to plan a family road trip, even if we just get away for the day.  We so appreciate all the expressions of concern and support we've received.
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/peritoneal-dialysis-4391


No comments:

Post a Comment