Sunday, May 8, 2011

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. ~Mahatma Gandhi




I'm trying very hard to give Jason some of his independence back.  I've grown so accustomed to doing things for him, and even speaking for him.  I've been finding little things for him to do around the house...he loves to put groceries away, but usually passes on unloading the dishwasher.  When we go for monthly bloodwork or eye appointments, I let him check himself in with the receptionist.  A few months ago on a rare warm day, I let him pump gas for the first time in three years.  I held my breath the whole time because his coordination hasn't completely returned, and decided to choose other activities in the future.
When we went to Walmart this evening, I decided to send him back several aisles for the milk we'd forgotten.  I asked him to repeat to himself, "half gallon of 2% milk" as he drove the scooter back to get it.  He assured me that he could remember, and even seemed a little frustrated that I would doubt his ability.  It was extremely difficult to continue shopping rather than immediately search him out.  After enough minutes had passed that he should have returned, I started back to find him.  I'm pretty sure I nearly sideswiped a nice little couple in my haste.  I caught a glimpse of him passing the end of an aisle, but by the time I reached the spot, he had disappeared.  I just hated the thought of him not knowing where I was.  I finally located him happily perusing the liquor aisle, without a care in the world.  When I asked if he'd been looking for me, he said he knew he'd find me eventually.  He then proudly pointed to his cart...which contained a half gallon of 2% milk.

4 comments:

  1. This made me smile so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can I be a nerd and comment on every one?
    This is fabulous! I love that picture of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please be a nerd...I live for comments!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet. You're good at painting word pictures. I can just see it!

    ReplyDelete