Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Whither Thou Goest

Yesterday when I was away from home, I tried calling Eli to check in.  He was engrossed in a computer game, so didn't hear the phone.  I was distracted, so failed to hang up in time before my call went to voicemail.  Suddenly, Jason's voice filled my ear.  Each time this happens, I am unable to stop the tears that follow.  Eli uses Jason's cell phone now, but I haven't wanted to change the outgoing message.  Over the past three years, I've grown accustomed to many changes.  I often forget how different Jason's voice sounds since his brain injury.  It's been several months since Eli's quietly mentioned how much he misses Dad's old laugh.
When Jason first started showing an interest in me so many years ago, I felt we were too different.  He was extremely outgoing and confident, while I was somewhat quiet and shy.  He enjoyed going out with his friends, but I was content to stay in with a book.  I also felt our five year age difference was an issue.  Luckily for me, Jason was patient and persistent.  As I spent more time with him, I quickly realized we had much in common.  Each time we learned a new similarity, we would say, "We're the same!"  Throughout our marriage, we've repeated this mantra many times.  I'm so grateful that even though so much is altered, I still see glimpses every day of the man I married.
 "Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God.  Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me." (Ruth 1:16-17)

1 comment:

  1. It is the adventure that keeps you walking down the path. The adventure of discovery...and remembrance...
    Your man is really blessed.

    ReplyDelete