Thursday, July 28, 2011

Hear Me Roar

Each night before he goes to sleep, Jason asks me the same question:  "What do we have to do tomorrow?"  At times he seems puzzled by the disparity of our individual to-do lists.  During the first year after he came home from the hospital, I would occasionally discover him fully dressed, sitting on the couch in the middle of  the night. When I asked what he was doing, he either said getting ready for work or for school.
Sometimes if I'm facing a particularly daunting day, I don't go into great detail.  I've found this will simply cause me to lie awake half the night, wondering if I'll be able to accomplish everything.  I so look forward to the rare nights when I can tell him we have no responsibilities and can spend the next day together.
This time of year never fails to cause a bit of panic.  Old Navy commercials start advertising back-to-school clothing, rulers and notebooks begin appearing inside the entrance of the grocery store, and Eli slowly loses the bounce in his step.  My head begins to whirl with thoughts of school supplies, parent/teacher conferences, and morning races to the school bus.  A little knot of dread begins forming as I dwell on thoughts of 5th grade math homework.
I realize there are many true single parents who often feel overwhelmed by daily obligations.  I believe I am lacking the organized multi-tasker gene.  I live in awe of women who juggle far more than I can even fathom.  I am praying for a smooth transition into the school year.  Hopefully it will be the year this slacker mom really shines.  May Eli start each day well-rested, with a full tummy and a cheerful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment