Friday, August 19, 2011

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

There were moments while sitting beside Jason's bed in the hospital that I honestly couldn't imagine his body ever being fully healed.  It seemed as though each new day brought yet another complication.  I remember one afternoon when I silently took inventory of the seemingly insurmountable issues he was facing:
--a ventilator was still breathing completely for him since his lungs were full of blood and fluid
--his kidneys had failed...and dialysis was proving difficult due to a clotting disorder
--he was in a coma after suffering a brain injury when his ventilator tube popped
--there were blood clots throughout both of his legs
--he was experiencing seizures following his brain injury
--he was fighting fevers and infections
Although I knew in my heart that God could heal Jason, I must admit there were times when my overwhelmed mind could not fully grasp this.  The future often seemed terrifying and uncertain.  I wondered if Jason would wake up...if he'd remember me...if he'd need to endure dialysis for the rest of his life...if he'd ever walk again.
Even as these thoughts were running through my mind, God was already working in Jason.  Slowly, Jason started to wake up.  One day after a nurse asked Jason if he knew his wife, my heart soared when his eyes immediately flew to me.  His seizures gradually ceased.  Each infection responded to treatment.  After five months, his kidneys miraculously healed, though doctors had warned us this was a nearly impossible outcome.  When I first brought Jason home, he wasn't able to walk.  He'd walked the parallel bars a few times at the hospital, but was still in a wheelchair.  He gradually worked up to a walker, which was finally retired to the garage. Did he walk again?  Oh, yes...in fact, he dances!  (sorry this video is sideways and rather dark...I never claimed to be clever, ha!)
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths in the earth.  Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.  How precious to me are your thoughts, God!  How vast is the sum of them!  Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand-when I awake I am still with you." (Psalm 139:13-18)

No comments:

Post a Comment