Thursday, August 4, 2011

Stop! In The Name Of Love

Jason almost slapped me once.  We'd been having brake problems on our car, so he and Eli spent the day at a repair shop.  When they  picked me up after work, we headed home for the evening.  As we drove along Frederick Avenue, Jason tried to slow down at the bottom of a hill.  I noticed the puzzled look on his face before he quietly informed me that we had no brakes.  When he tried the emergency brake, he discovered the mechanics had failed to reattach the cable.  My reaction was nothing short of a full-blown meltdown.  I knew a four year old boy was in the seat behind us, and several cars and a red light were in front of us.  Somehow at the last minute, there was a break in traffic and Jason turned left onto Noyes Boulevard.  We barely registered the honks from angry motorists who were starting into the intersection.  While I was screaming, Jason was frantically trying to devise a plan.  We were soon approaching another traffic light, more cars, and an unsuspecting man on a bicycle.  As I braced for what seemed an unavoidable impact of some kind, Jason caught a glimpse of an alley on his left.  He turned just before an oncoming car reached us.  After travelling over several bumps and the whole length of the alley, we finally coasted to a stop.  Even though the danger had passed, I was unable to calm down.  Jason later told me he was afraid he was going to have to slap me like he'd seen in movies.  As I reflect on the past eleven years of our marriage, I am thankful God provided me with such a fierce protector.  Jason consistently tried to shield me from life's obstacles.  He worked tirelessly to overcome any struggles we faced.  May God continue to bless our years together.
"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever." ~Psalm 107:1

1 comment: